Driver killed in midcoast dump truck rollover | News
NEWCASTLE, Maine (AP) - A dump truck driver has died in a single-vehicle crash in Newcastle.
Police say the truck driven by Malcolm Giles, 72, of Edgecomb, was traveling south on Thursday afternoon when it veered onto the road's shoulder. The truck continued until it hit a utility pole anchor wire and embankment, coming to rest against a group of trees. Giles was declared dead at the scene.
Police say there is no indication that alcohol was involved.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection was called in after some diesel fuel from the truck spilled.
Top Midcoast Stories
Upcoming Events near Midcoast
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Debate continues on whether Maine should release more moose permits
- Emotions run high as Waterville's first Catholic Church is torn down
- Talent Show May 18: Elvis, Line Dancers, and a Panty Hose Skit?
- Three-month closure begins at Augusta I-95 exit
- Spruce Mtn. coach elected to New England Basketball Hall of Fame